36 Twitter Stats All Entrepreneurs Want To Know In 2021
Before you can plan an effective marketing strategy for any social platform, you need to know who is using it and how. Here are the top Twitter stats you need to know to understand how and why people are using this social network in 2021.
Bonus: Download the free 30-day plan to quickly grow your Twitter. A daily workbook to help you set up a Twitter marketing routine and track your growth so you can show your boss real results after a month.
General Twitter statistics
1. Twitter has an advertising audience of 353 million
That number has increased 8% since the third quarter of 2020, representing an increase of 27 million users.
This number is an extrapolation from Hootsuite and We Are Social based on Twitter's self-service advertising tools.
The number Twitter itself publishes to describe its audience is "Monetizable Daily Active Users" (or mDAUs). According to Twitter's quarterly report for the third quarter of 2020, the figure is 187 million, up 29% year over year.
2. Twitter's user base is projected to grow 2.4% in 2021
eMarketer originally predicted Twitter would see 2.8% growth in 2020, but the pandemic has changed everything. In October they revised their forecast for 2020 to a growth of 8.4%.
Things are likely to slow to a more normal pace with growth of 2.4% in 2021, followed by growth of 2.0% in 2022.
3. 90% of the US population is familiar with Twitter (even if they don't use it).
That's actually a decrease from last year, when 92% of Americans said they were familiar with Twitter.
For reference, 95% know Facebook and 91% Instagram.
4. Twitter is the sixth place mobile app
This is based on the number of monthly active users. It's a global ranking but excludes China, a market with many apps that aren't available in the rest of the world.
5. Twitter will be 15 years old in 2021
Twitter was launched in March 2006 and has reached the mark of a decade and a half this year.
6. Twitter ranks 7 (out of 9) digital platforms for digital trust
That's not great. Only TikTok and Facebook do worse. Only about 57% of US users agree that Twitter protects their privacy and data.
Twitter user statistics
7. 68.7 million (or 19.4%) of Twitter users are based in the US.
That makes Americans the largest percentage of Twitter's user base.
Japan and India are the company's second and third largest markets.
However, the European markets could catch up – because …
8. The German audience on Twitter grew by 30% in the fourth quarter of 2020
This is the largest increase in any Twitter market worldwide. 5.45 million Germans now use this social platform.
9. Twitter has far more male users (70%) than female users (30%)
Almost ¾ of the Twitter target group is male. This is an important consideration when thinking about how to use this network to connect with your particular audience. (Male and female are the only options Twitter reports for gender.)
In the US, the gap is smaller: 54% of US Twitter users are male and 43% are female.
In Canada, the gap is even smaller: 43% of Canadian online men have a Twitter account and 41% of Canadian online women.
For more information on Twitter users, please see our detailed breakdown of Twitter demographics.
10. 21% of adults in the US use Twitter
This percentage has remained relatively constant over the past few years, with a slight decrease in 2019 to 19%.
This puts Twitter in sixth place in terms of usage by the US population. More and more Americans are using Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest and LinkedIn.
11. 42% of US Twitter users have a college degree
And only 25% have no college education at all.
12. 42% of Canada's online adults have a Twitter account
Like their American counterparts, Canadian Twitter users likely have high annual income (over $ 60,000) and a college degree.
13. 28.9% of Twitter viewers are 25 to 34 years old
This is the largest age segment, closely followed by the 35 to 49 year olds with 28.2%.
Men are more numerous than women in all age groups, but especially in these two largest cohorts.
Source: Hootsuite / We're Social
14. American Twitter users are more likely to be Democrats than Republicans
In the United States, Twitter users are far more likely to lean to the left of the political spectrum. 65% of adult Twitter users in the US are Democrats or slim Democrats, and 33% are Republicans or slim Republicans.
The Democrats on Twitter also lean further to the left than their non-Twitter counterparts.
15. 99% of Twitter users use at least one other social network
Twitter users don't work in a vacuum. 87% of them also use Facebook and 84% also use Instagram.
This creates opportunities for effective remarketing campaigns.
16. Twitter is the first social platform in Japan
While Facebook dominates in North America, Twitter ranks first in Japan with 64.1% of social network users on board. In fact, more than 25% of Twitter users live in the Asia-Pacific region.
Twitter usage statistics
17. 9.6% of US adults significantly increased their use of Twitter during the pandemic
2020 has been a year of increased social media usage overall, but Twitter hasn't been hit as hard as the more visual platforms that make doom scrolling more fun.
Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, and TikTok saw larger increases in usage in the early days of COVID-19.
18. Twitter blocked 925,700 accounts in the first half of 2020
This is an increase of 6% over the last half of 2019. The majority of these accounts have been banned for “hateful behavior”.
19. 92% of US tweets come from 10% of Twitter users
The median of users tweets once a month, while the most prolific Twitter users tweet 157 times, according to Pew Research.
These heavy Twitter users are much more Democratic than Republican.
Source: Pew Research Center
20. 5% of Twitter users in the US say this is the social platform they use the most
Compare with 54% for Facebook. Twitter's 5% has remained unchanged since 2018.
21. 17% of Americans get their messages from Twitter
And around the world, 12% of people use Twitter as a news source. This puts Twitter behind Facebook (36% worldwide), YouTube (21%) and WhatsApp (16%).
It is interesting to note that Instagram is gaining traction as a news source on Twitter as the two networks have been almost tied for news consumption since 2019.
Here's another but related statistic: 59% of Twitter users receive messages from the platform on a regular basis. This is the highest among social networks.
So Twitter is not the social network that Americans use. However, receiving messages is a key feature of the platform for existing Twitter users.
22. 50% of Canadian Twitter users access the platform on a daily basis
23% access it weekly and 26% less than once a day.
23. 70 million Twitter accounts follow Twitter topics
This corresponds to an increase of 40% from Q2 to Q3 2020. There are more than 5,100 topics available.
Twitter for business statistics
24. 82% of B2B content marketers have used Twitter for organic content marketing in the past 12 months
Twitter is linked to Facebook for these Twitter business statistics. Only LinkIn is higher with 96%. But…
25. 27% of B2B content marketers have used Twitter ads in the past 12 months
We just told you that Twitter is connected to Facebook for B2B organic content marketing. This is way behind for paid Twitter ads: 67% of B2B marketers use Facebook ads, compared to just 27% on Twitter.
If you are marketing to a B2B audience, there may be untapped market here for you to explore.
26. 19% of retail banks have dedicated Twitter customer service
This is in addition to your main account.
Twitter is an effective channel for social media customer service. A dedicated service account can help your team respond quickly to incoming requests.
Twitter advertising statistics
27. Twitter ads can reach 5.8% of the world's population over 13 years of age
That's not the biggest among social networks, but it's still a huge audience – especially if you find the right niche.
28. Twitter's advertising revenue is up 15%
Advertisers spent $ 808 million on Twitter in the third quarter of 2020 based on "return of events and increased product launches."
Most of this advertising revenue comes from the United States, followed by Japan.
29. Engagement to Twitter Ads is up 27%
According to Twitter's Q3 2020 report, users are increasingly engaging with ads on Twitter. At the same time, Twitter says that its CPE (cost-per-engagement) has decreased by 9%.
Twitter cited price reductions for most ad formats and audience growth for these numbers.
If cheaper and more engaging ads could benefit your Twitter marketing strategy, you might want to check out our guide on using Twitter ads.
30. Carousel ads on Twitter websites saw an average click-through rate of 15% compared to ads with single assets
For app carousel ads, the increase was 24%. Both numbers come from Twitter's beta testing of the new ad format, which launched in November 2020.
Twitter posting statistics
31. # COVID19 was the most used hashtag of 2020, followed by #BlackLives Matter
# COVID19 has been used nearly 400 million times.
Pew Research found that #BlackLivesMatter was used an average of 3.7 million times per day from May 26th to June 7th.
Source: Pew Research Center
#StayHome was number 3.
With critical issues dominating the discussion, brands need to be frivolous and think carefully about how they use social platforms. As we explain in our 2021 Social Trends report, silence can be golden.
32. In 2020 there were 7,000 tweets every minute on television or films
While people were using Twitter in 2020 to talk about difficult and important topics, they also used it for entertainment and escape.
It's interesting to note that only one of the top 5 most talked-about TV shows comes from Hollywood: Grey's Anatomy. The most talked about show number one was Big Brother Brazil.
Game of Thrones, Tiger King and Stranger Things also made the top 10.
33. In 2020 there were 2 billion tweets about sports
Although many sporting events were canceled, people had a lot to say about sports.
The most tweeted sporting event was the Super Bowl, and the most talked-about team was the LA Lakers.
There were also more than 2 billion tweets about video games, a 75% increase from 2019.
34. Tweets about cooking increased nearly 300% in 2020
Sourdough. Banana bread. People filled their time with baking this year, and that longer kitchen time was reflected in a massive increase in chef tweets.
In one of the first weeks of pandemic restrictions, there were 500,000 tweets about cooking and baking every day. And there's a daily average of 29,000 tweets about chocolate.
Food and drink-related emojis also saw a large bump:
35. The most frequently tweeted emojis of 2020 were ???? and ????
That's a lot of tears, both happy and sad. Here are the remaining top 10 emojis from last year:
36. Video views on Twitter grew 62% from 2019 to 2020
The clock time increased 72% over the previous year. Video has definitely found its place on Twitter.
Save time managing your Twitter presence by using Hootsuite to share videos, schedule posts, and monitor your efforts. Try it for free today.
Easily manage all of your social media in one place and Save time with Hootsuite.